Cardiff & Vale University Health Board is responsible for commissioning the range of essential, additional and enhanced services available at North Cardiff Medical Centre. These are as follows:
- Management of patients who are ill or believe themselves to be ill, with conditions from which recovery is generally expected, for the duration of that condition, including relevant health promotion advice and referral as appropriate, reflecting patient choice wherever practicable
- General management of patients who are terminally ill
- Management of chronic disease in the manner determined by the Practice, in discussion with the patient
- Contraceptive services
- Vaccinations and Immunisations
- Child Health Surveillance
- Maternity services (excluding intra partum care which is an enhanced service)
- The minor surgery procedures of curettage, cautery, cryocautery or warts and verrucae and other skin lesions
- Advanced Access
- Childhood vaccinations and immunisations
Please note: If someone other than the child's parent will be bringing the child for immunisations, a letter of consent is required from the parent/guardian.
- Influenza immunisations
- Minor Surgery
- Nursing homes
- Anticoagulation monitoring
- Near patient testing (shared care monitoring of specific conditions between hospital and NCMC
At NCMC we have a primary care counsellor who is part of the Psychological and Counselling Dept @ Cardiff and Vale NHS Trust. At present we offer a number of therapy options which include self-help pathways, counselling to high intensity Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. The counsellor will offer a mental health assessment and a treatment pathway.
The therapy options project is for people who have psychological or emotional difficulties which can be appropriately dealt with through Primary Care or through community based mental health projects. The aim is to improve access to psychological therapy and increase choice of interventions. There are some self help resources which can be accessed without a referral from a mental health professional. AT present these include:
- Guided Bibliotherapy (Your GP or counsellor will have a list of recommended books and will offer a book prescription which can be taken to your local library)
- Exercise Referral (Your GP can arrange to write and exercise referral for you to receive an individual health assessment at your local leisure centre and you can receive a supported 16 week activity programme)
- Walking for Health (Your GP or Counsellor can give you further information on walks available in your area)
Your GP can give you any information regarding these schemes.
We also have available information on local support groups and voluntary organisations within the Cardiff area. There is also a 6 week stress control course which aims at helping people learn about different techniques to deal with stress. Leaflets for the stress control course are available from our GP surgery and these can be completed by your GP, Counsellor or yourself.
Your GP practice has a directory of Mental Health Services in Cardiff & Vale of Glamorgan. The directory will also have information on voluntary sector agencies and useful helplines.
Cardiff Mind Ltd is a voluntary sector agency which provides day services, support with housing difficulties, support for returning to employment and a range of counselling services for men and women aged 18 and over. Contact 029 20402040 or email firstname.lastname@example.org There is an open office at 106, Newport Road, Roath, Cardiff.
Computerised Cognitive Behavioural Therapy can be accessed through a computer based programme available on the internet. 'Living life to the full' http://livinglifetothefull.com/
Pregnancy Advisory Service
The Pregnancy Advisory Service is based at the University Hospital of Wales and is a service for women who are under 14 weeks pregnant and are considering a termination of pregnancy. Patients are able to self-refer to this service without seeing their GP. For more information please access Pregnancy Advisory Service
Cardiff & Vale University Health Board
The contact details for Cardiff University Health Board are:
Cardiff & Vale University Health Board Headquarters
University Hospital of Wales (UHW)
Tel: 029 2055 2212 | Fax: 029 2057 8032 | E-mail: email@example.com