Advanced Nurse Practitioner
Amanda J Monsell MSc; BSc (Hons); PGCE; RGN; RMN; SPQ (GP); V300.
Interests: Female health; cardiovascular disease; hypertension; mental health; children’s ailments; lifestyle management.
Amanda is the Clinical Lead for the nursing team within the practice and has a wealth of experience having worked in North Cardiff Medical Centre for over 20 years. She is dual trained and is qualified as both a general and a mental health nurse and holds a Specialist Practitioner Qualification in General practice Nursing.
She has recently returned full time from a secondment at Cardiff University where she taught across the nursing curriculum (teaching both undergraduate and postgraduate students) and was primary aligned to the non-medical prescribing modules.
She has successfully undertaken a Master’s degree in Advanced Clinical practice which enables her to see and manage patients independently with previously undiagnosed conditions. She is a qualified non-medical prescriber, can order appropriate tests and x-rays as well as having access to refer patients into the hospital as and when necessary. This advanced nursing role is modelled on the American system, which has been in operation since the 1960s. In order to provide complete healthcare, Nurse Practitioners:
· Obtain medical histories and perform physical examinations
· Diagnose and treat common health problems
· Diagnose, treat and monitor chronic health problems such as diabetes, high blood pressure and asthma
· Promote positive health behaviours and self-care skills through education and counselling
· Collaborate with the General Practitioners and other health professionals